MIDDLE SCHOOL INSTRUCTION, VISION AND GOALS
- Create a larger population of students to enhance educational opportunity.
- Forge new friendships and a sense of community for students and parents across the district.
- Create a modern facility that supports the district’s vision to:
- Increase student engagement and mastery.
- Expand current program offerings.
- Develop programs that teach students how to learn and to make that learning “stick”.
- Provide facilities that welcome, encourage and enable families and community members to become active partners in the education of our community’s children.
WHY 7-8 MIDDLE SCHOOL CONFIGURATION?
- The developmental and educational needs of 6th graders will be met within our current elementary school structure.
- It is not cost-effective to construct new space to house 6th graders when there is sufficient space to house them in our current elementary schools.
- Vermont teacher licensure requirements (7-12 certification) make staffing a 7/8 middle school easier and allows for sharing instructional staff with the high school.
- A 7th and 8th grade middle school aligns with the current structure for delivering athletic programs and other co-curricular programs within the district and region.
Fair Haven Union High School Complex:
- Only educational complex in district large enough to meet the requirements for a self-contained, adjoining middle school.
- Provides students with additional opportunities for academic acceleration, access to the arts, co-curricular programs, and student support.
Constructing a middle school on the grounds of the current high school would also support:
- Greater operational efficiency – space utilization, staffing, field space.
- A more cost-effective district-wide renovation plan to address our school’s current facility needs.
PROPOSED PK-6 FACILITY UPGRADES
Creating a middle school would open up space in elementary schools for new/expanded instructional areas and program enhancements including:
- Maker spaces to support new instructional programs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
- Expanded/upgraded arts, music, and performance/exhibition areas.
- Reconfigured instructional areas to support grade level teams.
- Upgraded kitchen/cafeteria/gym areas.
- Expanded student support areas.
- Conference spaces.
PROPOSED HIGH SCHOOL FACILITY UPGRADES
- Reconfigured/re-designed Art and Music areas.
- Upgraded Science Rooms – furniture and fixtures.
- Multiple fabrication/maker/technology spaces for student projects – different focus/use.
- Student gathering/social spaces – renovation of cafeteria for multi-use (and kitchen), study areas, conversation areas, small exhibition/performance spaces for student exhibitions and presentations, coffee houses, etc.
- Upgraded athletic locker and team rooms
- Additional field space.